Due to the different types of saltwater fish and number of saltwater fishing tips and techniques that can be applied, learning all the tricks when it comes to how to saltwater fish can be a challenge for both seasoned anglers and beginners.
Just remember, the types of fishing tackle and gear that is used for saltwater fishing differs considerably based on the species and the specific fishing techniques that are applied. Other saltwater fishing tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure to have a valid saltwater fishing license.
- Check a local tide chart when planning your inshore saltwater fishing trip. One of the most important inshore fishing tips is to plan your trips based on tidal movement.
- Choose the right spinning rod and reel combo. Start out with a 7-foot, medium weight spinning rod and reel combo that’s rated for 10 to 20-pound test line.
- Use live or natural baits or your favorite fishing lures. Natural baits, such as shrimp or baitfish, offer you the best opportunity for consistent action.
- Make sure to keep your live bait in a covered bucket or in a live well.
- Consider fishing from a public pier to start. Public piers are great places to gain experience with inshore saltwater fishing gear, rigging baits, and landing fish.
- When practicing catch and release, keep your catch out of the water only as long as you can hold your own breath.
Learning how to saltwater fish is as much about the adventure as it is about the fish. Many of the sport fish species can be big and mean, and the water can be big and bad. From shallow saltwater flats to deep ocean fishing, saltwater anglers chase everything from dainty speckled trout to massive blue marlin in some of the most intense and inspirational surroundings on earth.
We hit the water every chance we get here at Fishaye Trading Company. We love fishing and we love creating amazing artwork for you. Ready for some fish prints to add to your nautical collection? Take a look at our print gallery and let your creative imagination run wild! https://www.fishayetrading.com/wall-art/.