Happy June! Summer is right around the corner, and many people are already planning their Summer vacation trips. Fishing is a popular activity this season, especially if you’re going on a camping trip! Not sure where to start or what you need to pack for a successful fishing experience? No worries! We have some tips for you!
- Know your location. Knowing information about your chosen location is important in many different aspects, and can contribute to a safe and fun trip! Some examples may be: What is the weather forecast? What type of fish are in that area? Is the area generally busy with other fishermen? How are the water levels at your location?
- Hire a fishing guide. If it’s within your budget for your trip, hiring a guide is one of the most beneficial things you can do. Guides likely know all the best spots, and you’ll get to learn a ton of new information about the area.
- Pack good food. Do you need to bring food for all of your meals, or do you have dinner plans at a local spot? At the very least you should bring lots of water and high-quality snacks!
- Bring the right gear. It’s a good idea to have sunscreen, sunglasses, water storage and a first aid kit. In addition, consider bringing a camera, a backup rod, extra flies, and a waterproof layer in case of a turn in the weather! Don’t forget to prepare your gear before you leave for your trip!
- Know the rules and regulations. Be responsible and take the steps to get the proper fishing license before your trip. Many areas have catch and release only laws, barbless hook laws, artificial lures only, catch limits, size limits, and open and closed seasons. Make sure you know these rules, and follow them for the water bodies you’ll be visiting.